The manner in which people dress, makes a strong, definite statement about who they are and what they do. Because we want to make a positive statement about Heritage Elementary School, we have a school dress policy that is appropriate for our activities and learning. If you have any questions or are unsure about certain clothing articles, please contact the administration for clarification. As a general rule of thumb, if you are unsure an item is appropriate, it is best not to send your student in the questioned garment.
The dress policy is designed to ensure that our students are well-prepared, both physically and mentally, for academic and social success. Students must maintain a clean, neat, and healthy personal appearance. School dress must be clean and in good repair. Slits, rips, or tears are not permitted. If a student is found to be non-compliant, a parent will be contacted to bring alternate apparel that meets school dress guidelines. This includes outwear on cold days. All school dress standards are subject to review/revision by the Heritage Elementary School governing board. Any requests for review or revision should be directed to the Principal in writing.
RECOMMENDED UNIFORM BRANDS, I.E. DICKIES, TARGET, JCPENNY, KOHL’S, ETC.
- Solid colored navy, black, maroon or white long or short-sleeved polo shirts
- Polo shirts with Heritage logo are permitted
- Peter Pan collared white blouses may be worn under jumpers.
- During colder months, turtlenecks in navy, black, maroon or white are allowed and may be worn under polo shirts.
- Shirts must reach below the waistband even when arms are raised above the head. At no time should a student’s midriff be showing.
- Undershirts (white only) must be tucked in at all times.
- Heritage Spirit Wear may be worn Monday-Friday.
- Pants, shorts, skirts, skorts or jumpers or polo dresses in solid navy, black, khaki, or current Heritage burgundy plaid (can be found at Target) No jeans are permitted.
- Pants, shorts, skirts, and skorts are to be worn on the waist with no portion of an undergarment showing. Clothing should be an appropriate fit and size for your student. Tight clothing is not appropriate for the school setting.
- Jumpers, shorts, skirts, skorts, and polo dresses must be modest length. Attire must be at least mid-thigh.
- Unseen shorts must be worn under jumpers, polo dresses, and skirts.
- Shoes must have a closed toe and heel, be securely attached to the foot, and be safe for playground activity. No high heeled shoes.
- Shoes cannot be removed from feet.
- Solid colored sweaters, sweatshirts, windbreakers, winter coats, parkas, and jackets in solid navy, black, maroon, gray or white only. Lining that is seen must be in a uniform color.
- Grade 6
- Solid colored navy, black, maroon, white or gray t-shirts
- Solid colored navy, black, maroon, white or gray athletic/gym shorts. Length must reach at least mid thigh.
- Athletic shoes required
- Leggings must be solid colored navy, black, maroon, or white and can only be worn under uniform bottoms.
- Baseball hats, visors, and beanies in solid navy, black maroon, white, or tan are permitted and can be only worn outside.
- Eccentricities of dress and personal grooming, such as body piercings, tattoos, and unnatural hair color, are not permitted.
- Jewelry may not be excessive or a potential weapon or distraction. Only one bracelet per wrist and one necklace may be worn at a time. Only small hoop or stud earrings are acceptable.
- Sweatbands, scarves, tiaras, and bandanas are not permitted.
- Headbands are permitted but may not have excessive embellishment (i.e. animal ears, antennae).
*If a student violates the Heritage Elementary School Dress Code Policy, parents may be contacted to bring in a uniform that is compliant. Excessive dress code violations will result in disciplinary action.